A Cheshire music student was ordered to buy an extra seat for her violin after an airline refused to let her take the instrument as hand luggage. Francesca Rijks, 12, from Macclesfield, was flying home with her family from Dusseldorf after a holiday in Germany. Staff told them to put the violin in the hold – which would potentially ruin the instrument. Francesca and her family got off the plane to buy the ticket, and missed the flight. They had been advised to buy the £190 ticket after calling the airline. The family ended up flying back with Easyjet, who let them board the plane with the violin as hand luggage.
He said: “When we checked in, Francesca was carrying the violin on her back so they must have noticed it but they let us through.
“But when we got to the gates they refused to let us go.
“They said we could pay extra to put the violin in the hold, but because of the temperature and air pressure difference, the wood can crack and completely ruin a violin. The insurance also becomes void,” he said.
“This was an absolute disgrace. Their policy appears to discriminate against violinists, the vast majority of whom simply can’t afford to purchase an additional seat,” he added.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Airline tells girl: Buy a £190 seat for violin (menmedia.co.uk)
- Virgin Airlines Fails To Commit Atrocities On Flight VX746 (techcrunch.com)
- Simple Ways to Improve Business Travel (business-travel-tips.suite101.com)
- Dutch Authorities Said to Detain Two Men on Suspicious Baggage (businessweek.com)
- Lost Your Luggage? Don’t Lose Your Mind (lifescript.com)
- Know Before You Go: Airline Travel Dos and Don’ts (lifescript.com)
- Josh Troke: Beware of Extra Weight (huffingtonpost.com)
- Ask Gadling: What to do when the airline loses your luggage? (gadling.com)
- Kate Simon: If you’re flying with Ryanair this summer, just pack a hair shirt (independent.co.uk)
- You: Yemeni men arrested in Amsterdam on terror charges after flight from U.S. (latimes.com)
- $18 Million Instruments – The Vieuxtemps Guarneri Violin is the World’s Most Expensive Music Maker (VIDEO) (trendhunter.com)
- Midori Goto: My Violin Is a Living Being (bigthink.com)
- How much does it cost to rent a violin? (teachstreet.com)
- I’d never fly Ryanair, but its boss is my hero (telegraph.co.uk)
- A violin maker’s inspired journey from China to Philadelphia (philly.com)
- Rock Violin Duo The Dueling Fiddlers Teaches Violinists to Play Guns ‘n Roses’s “Sweet Child O’ Mine” in the Rockin’ Fiddle Challenge (thecontrapuntist.com)